For information on civilian (non-sworn) positions in the Woburn Police Department contact the City of Woburn Human Resources Department at 781-932-4459 or on line at City of Woburn Human Resources Department.
POLICE OFFICER POSITIONS
The City of Woburn Police Department is a Civil Service Police Department . Therefore, all persons interested in a position with the Department must apply through the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Human Resources Division (HRD).
Entry level municipal police officer examinations are held every two years. This scheduled examination is a statewide open exam for all civil service police agencies. The next examination is scheduled for April 20, 2013.
ENRTY LEVEL POLICE OFFICER EXAMINATION
TEST DATE: April 20, 2013
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 18, 2013
EXAMINATION FEE: $100
• There will be an additional $50 processing fee for applications received after this date.
Applications will not be accepted after April 1, 2013.
EXAMINATION APPLICATION PROCESS
Applications and information about eligibility requirements, application fees, and the examination process is available on-line at 2013 Police Officer & State Trooper Examination Information.
2013 POLICE OFFICER & STATE TROOPER EXAMINATION POSTER
Those interested in taking the Civil Service Entrance Examination can apply on line at Police Officer Entrance Examination On-Line Application.
The application fee is $100.00, but may be waived for applicants receiving certain state or federal assistance, unemployment insurance, or worker’s compensation. Fee Waiver Form.
2013 POLICE OFFICER & STATE TROOPER WRITTEN EXAM PREPARATION GUIDE
DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND REQUISITE SKILLS
A Police Officer works under supervision to perform law enforcement duties, protecting life, property, and the civil rights of individuals. Primary duties include patrol; interacting with citizens to provide service and render assistance; and preparing and completing records, reports, and other paperwork documenting incidents for use in prosecution. A Police Officer is dispatched to crime and emergency scenes in response to reported violations, accidents, domestic disputes and abuses, and other incidents; carries out crime scene duties; makes arrests and performs search and seizure; conducts investigations; and interviews witnesses, suspects, and complainants.
As of the date of employment, applicants must have either:
• A high school diploma or equivalency certificate approved by the Massachusetts Department of
• Three years experience in the armed forces of the United States with last release or discharge
under honorable conditions.
OTHER MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS/REQUIREMENTS
All candidates for appointment to the Woburn Police Department must:
• Be at least 21 years of age as of April 30, 2013 to take the 2013 Exam.
• Be a non-smoker at the time of and after appointment.
• Pass a medical examination and a Physical Abilities Test. (View PAT Video)
• Pass a psychological examination.
• Not have been convicted of a felony at any time.
• Be a United States citizen.
• Have good moral character.
• Be honorably discharged from the Armed Forces, if applicable.
• Possess a valid Massachusetts driver’s license and have a good driving record.
The City of Woburn Police Department is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.